The benefits of association membership helps you and your business prosper in several ways:
- Networking with fellow locksmiths and vendors. You get the opportunity to share knowledge that can be extremely helpful.
- TLA distributes Texas Occupations Code, Chapter 1702 & Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 35 updates to our membership regularly. (These are the laws that regulate locksmiths in Texas. If you don’t know them, you may be unknowingly breaking them.)
- We provide continuing education and ongoing training. (16 CEU’s every two years are required to maintain your locksmith endorsement with DPS.)
- TLA works to ensure the interests of Texas locksmiths are considered when working with DPS & the State.
- Membership in TLA can get you DISCOUNTS with our associate members, training and free continuing education.
2011 is a legislative year in Texas and having more locksmiths participating in the association would enable us to have a better cross section of ideas and collaboration. We have gotten more politically active to better protect locksmith’s rights and prevent further erosion of our business to non-locksmiths and scammers.
Types of Membership
- Regular. To qualify for regular membership an individual shall meet all requirements for locksmith registration if required by Texas law and:
- Be at least eighteen (18) years of age and have at least six (6) months experience in locksmith work or;
- Be an registered owner or manager of a licensed locksmith shop or;
- Have received training in this profession either through an accredited school or through on-the-job training by an accredited locksmith and be actively engaged as a professional locksmith.
- TLA members who have retired from the locksmith trade may continue their membership without being registered as provided they no longer practice locksmithing.
- Provisional regular membership may be granted if registration has been applied for but not yet granted by the state. Provisional membership will be reviewed by the board at each quarterly board meeting to determine if state registration has been granted and the provisional membership converted to a regular membership. If the registration has been denied or blocked, the provisional membership will be canceled.
A provisional membership may be continued at the discretion of the board if the denial of registration is being appealed. No refund of dues and assessment will be granted in the event a registration is denied.
- Apprentice. To qualify for apprentice membership an individual shall be at least twelve (12) years of age and a dependent of a regular or life TLA member. An apprentice member shall automatically become a regular member upon age eighteen (18) providing that apprentice membership status has been maintained and that member is actively engaged in locksmith work and received locksmith registration if required by Texas Law.
- Associate. To qualify for associate membership an individual or business firm shall be approved and pay the fees set by the TLA Board of Directors, herein after referred to as BOD.
- Honorary. To qualify for honorary membership an individual member shall: 1. Have provided exemplary contributions and service to TLA; 2. Be selected by the BOD.
- Life. To qualify for life membership a member may be selected by the BOD and have been:
- A member in good standing for a minimum of ten (10) years and have provided exemplary service to TLA by serving on the BOD, on committees education and/or TLA road show program; instructing; volunteering; being an ambassador and recruiter for TLA; or
- A member in good standing for a minimum of fifteen (15) years of continuous membership and at least 65 years of age or will reach 65 years of age during the calendar year of selection.
- There shall be no more than three (3) members selected each year.